Ricardo Lamas fought in his own back yard of Chicago on Saturday, June 8 at UFC 238. Lamas took on Calvin Kattar but suffered a first-round knockout loss to spoil his return home. Now that the fight is over, Lamas has provided an update on his status following the knockout.
As it turns out, Lamas broke his jaw in three places which required surgery to insert titanium plates.
“I suffered 3 fractures in my jaw during the fight,” Lamas wrote on Instagram. “Been in the hospital since & had surgery yesterday. Titanium plates were installed. I asked the doctor to install laser guns in my mouth that I could activate with my tongue and shoot through my teeth but he said that was impossible. I’d like to thank everyone who reached out with kind messages. I’d like to thank my family, my beautiful wife, who without I wouldn’t be able to live my dream, my parents & brothers who have supported m e from day one & all my extended family for their support as well as my sponsors.
“For my beloved city of Chicago, I’m sorry I let you down again, but I wanted to thank you all for the cheers you gave me during my introduction, it gave me chills and I will never forget it, Chicago truly has the best fans. For now, it’s quality time with my family & baby #3 coming early August which puts in perspective what’s really important in Life.”
In case you missed it, here is the knockout:
— UFC (@ufc) June 9, 2019
UFC 238 took place on Saturday, June 8 at the United Center in Chicago. In the main event, Henry Cejudo claimed the bantamweight championship with a third-round TKO win over Marlon Moraes. In the co-main event, Valentina Shevchenko retained her women’s flyweight title with a devastating head kick knockout win over Jessica Eye.
The full results from UFC 238 can be seen below.
UFC 238 Results
- Henry Cejudo def. Marlon Moraes via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:51 – to win vacant bantamweight title
- Valentina Shevchenko def. Jessica Eye via knockout (head kick) – Round 2, 0:26 – to defend women’s flyweight title
- Tony Ferguson def. Donald Cerrone via TKO (cut) – Round 2, 5:00
- Petr Yan def. Jimmie Rivera via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Blagoy Ivanov def. Tai Tuivasa via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Tatiana Suarez def. Nina Ansaroff via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Aljamain Sterling def. Pedro Munhoz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexa Grasso def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Calvin Kattar def. Ricardo Lamas via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:06
- Yan Xiaonan def. Angela Hill via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Darren Stewart def. Bevon Lewis via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Eddie Wineland def. Grigorii Popov via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 4:47
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Joanne Calderwood via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)