Late Saturday night, all 22,000 people in attendance were evacuated from the Tomorrowland music festival in Barcelona, Spain after the stage caught on fire. Thankfully, no injures were reported, as everyone was able to make it out safely.
According to NPR, the fire was caused by a technical malfunction. Via Tomorrowland’s Facebook, here’s their statement on the incident.
Tonight, July 29th 2017, the UNITE Barcelona stage caught fire due to a technical malfunction. Thanks to the professional intervention of the authorities all 22.000 visitors were evacuated safely and without reports of injuries. Authorities will follow up and continue the investigation with the local Spanish organizer of UNITE.
Because it’s 2017 and social media is everywhere, there were a ton of videos of the fire posted online. Here are a few examples to demonstrate just how massive this fire was.
Your set was on fire, maybe too much for Barcelona. pic.twitter.com/CnQZE5pKTn
— 𝔻𝕎𝔸ℝ𝔻 (@edwardLOZAN) July 29, 2017
— Daniel Jares (@danieljares6) July 29, 2017
— Alex Prim (@PrimFCB) July 29, 2017
Tomorrowland has been held annually since 2005, and it has grown into one of the most popular music festivals on the planet. Tickets sell out almost instantly, and in an effort to meet demand, the festival is now held over two weekends with concerts taking place simultaneously in different locations across the world. Although Saturday night’s scary scene occurred in Barcelona, Tomorrowland’s main stage is in Boom, Belgium.