Rafael dos Anjos is one of the top lightweights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. The 155-pound standout previously held the UFC lightweight championship before suffering a loss to Eddie Alvarez.
Dos Anjos, who was born in Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, holds an overall professional record of 29-11.
In his upcoming fight, dos Anjos takes on up-and-comer Leon Edwards.
“The UFC came to me and offered the fight for August 3 I think, I can’t remember what card, but they offered me the main event and I said yes,” Edwards said, via MMA Fighting. “They offered him the fight and he said no, he needs more time. He turned it down first and then they came back to me a couple of weeks later and said what do you think about doing the main event in San Antonio, Tex. and I said yes again. I don’t know how but somehow he accepted the fight so here we are.
“I think they forced him into it and now he’ll pay. Now we’ll see who’s one of the best fighters in the world. This wasn’t his first option. Now he faces a young, hungry up and coming killer.”
Here are the top five finishes of Rafael dos Anjos’ UFC career.
Rafael dos Anjos’ Top 5 UFC Finishes
Watch the top five finishes from former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos.
UFC on ESPN 4 Weigh-in Results
View this post on Instagram
. . . . #FightAnnouncement . #UFCSanAntonio has its headliner as Rafael Dos Anjos will take on Leon "Rocky" Edwards for the 07/20 event. . Fresh off a submission win over Kevin Lee in May, former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos (29-11) will try to keep the ball rolling as he will have little to no time to recover from the gruelling affair, which he won via fourth-round submission. Before the victory, the 34-year-old suffered back-to-back unanimous decision losses to Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington. . Currently on a seven-fight winning streak, a victory over dos Anjos could be what propels Leon Edwards (17-3) towards a title shot. So far, ‘Rocky’ already defeated notable names in the division, such as Donald Cerrone, Gunnar Nelson, Vicente Luque, among others. Additionally, the 27-year-old’s last loss, in December 2015, came by the hands of now welterweight champion, Kamaru Usman. . Source: BloodyElbow.com
MAIN CARD (ESPN, 9:00 p.m. ET)
- Rafael dos Anjos (171) vs. Leon Edwards (171)
- Walt Harris (256) vs. Aleksei Oleinik (236)
- Juan Adams (266) vs. Greg Hardy (266)
- Dan Hooker (155) vs. James Vick (156)
- Alexander Hernandez (155) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (156)
- Andrei Arlovski (246) vs. Ben Rothwell (265)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 6:00 p.m. ET)
- Alex Caceres (146) vs. Steven Peterson (145)
- Irene Aldana (135) vs. Raquel Pennington (136)
- Klidson Abreu (205) vs. Sam Alvey (205)
- Jennifer Maia (129) vs. Roxanne Modafferi (125)
- Ray Borg (136) vs. Gabriel Silva (134)
- Mario Bautista (136) vs. Jin Soo Son (136)
- Felipe Colares (136) vs. Domingo Pilarte (136)