Mixed martial arts legend Anderson Silva suffered an unfortunate loss to Jared Cannonier at UFC 237 on Saturday, May 11. The former middleweight champion was taking on Cannonier in the co-main event of the night in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil before a seemingly serious knee injury ended his night and forced referee Herb Dean to step in and stop the fight.
The injury to Silva was to the same leg that he snapped in half during a UFC 168 bout against Chris Weidman, after Weidman checked a low leg kick.
During the post-fight interview, Silva revealed that he had suffered a knee injury during training for his fight during Cannonier. Despite his best efforts, Silva’s knee was unable to hold up after a low leg kick that ended the night.
If you missed out on the action, we have you covered.
Here is the finish between Silva vs. Cannonier:
A full look at the results from UFC 237 can be seen below.
UFC 237 Results
- Jessica Andrade def. Rose Namajunas via knockout (slam) – to win strawweight title – Round 2, 2:58
- Jared Cannonier def. Anderson Silva via TKO (kick) – Round 1, 4:47
- Alexander Volkanovski def. Jose Aldo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Laureano Staropoli def. Thiago Alves via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Irene Aldana def. Bethe Correia via submission (armbar) – Round 3, 3:24
- Ryan Spann def. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:07
- Thiago Moises def. Kurt Holobaugh via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
- Warlley Alves def. Sergio Moraes via knockout (punch) – Round 3, 4:13
- Clay Guida def. B.J. Penn via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Luana Carolina def. Priscila Cachoeira via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27)
- Raoni Barcelos def. Carlos Huachin via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:49
- Viviane Araujo def. Talita Bernardo via knockout (punch) – Round 3, 0:48