Pop star Demi Lovato was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital after suffering a suspected overdose inside of a Hollywood Hills home on Tuesday, July 24. The 25-year-old singer had just performed on Sunday, July 22 with Iggy Azalea at the California Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles. She was set to hit the road later in the week for a show on the east coast. Following her overdose, her immediate health condition was not known.
However, TMZ, which was first to report the news, noted that “she’s been struggling” leading up to her planned trip on the road.
The overdose comes just one month after she released a new single, “Sober,” which was an emotional, raw track details a relapse Lovato had after six years of sobriety as she battles addiction. Lovato had documented struggles with alcohol, cocaine, and Oxycontin.
“Mama, I’m so sorry I’m not sober anymore / And daddy please forgive me for the drinks spilled on the floor/And I’m sorry for the fans I lost who watched me fall again / I wanna be a role model, but I’m only human,” she sings on the track.
Initially, it was reported that Lovato overdosed on heroin, but TMZ retracted the report and would not disclose the drug. The celebrity gossip site also said that Lovato was not cooperative when EMTs arrived and refused to reveal what drug led to the incident. No drugs were seized at her home.
This is a developing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.
Demi Lovato Condition & Health Update: Stable Condition
From TMZ: “Law enforcement sources tell us Demi was treated with Narcan — an emergency treatment for narcotic overdoses — at her home. We’ve confirmed the OD occurred at her house in the Hollywood Hills.” Lovato was unconscious when the paramedics came to her home. She was reportedly out Monday night celebrating a friend’s birthday in West Hollywood.
People Magazine provided an update on Demi, saying she is currently in “stable” condition. NBC News echoed the positive news, saying that Lovato was transferred to Cedars Sinai Medical Center, where she was “stable, alert and breathing.”
A Demi Lovato representative said in a statement issued through NBC Los Angeles’ Robert Kovacick: “Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers and support. Some of the information being reported is incorrect and they respectfully ask for privacy and not speculation.”
Demi Lovato’s Struggles With Addiction
In a documentary titled Simply Complicated, Lovato opened up about the severity of her addiction. She opened up turning to alcohol while trying to fit in at school, which eventually turned to the then Disney Channel star trying cocaine for the first time at 17 years old. In 2010, she admitted to a hotel party with alcohol, marijuana, and Adderall which led to tension between her and the Jonas Brothers, who she was on tour with for Camp Rock 2. She also punched a backup dancer on a plane.
Lovato then entered rehab, but still was not sober.
She admitted to sneaking drugs on planes, bathrooms, and partaking every night. At one point, she mixed cocaine and Xanax and thought she was nearly going to overdose. Lovato would always have an eight ball of coke and bag of pills on her, according to the documentary.
I started to choke a little bit and my heart started racing,” she says. “I remember thinking, Oh my god, I might be overdosing right now.”
Lovato was eventually hospitalized after locking herself in her room and beginning to take pills. After being rushed to the hospital, Lovato ingested more pills that the doctors had on them. She recalled, “I didn’t feel anything. I didn’t feel guilty, I didn’t feel embarrassed.”
After performing hungover during an appearance on American Idol in 2012, Lovato eventually got sober when her management threatened to drop her. By 19, she was a year sober and hosting X Factor. On top of the substance abuse, Lovato was suffering from an eating disorder.
In June 2018, Lovato released a song titled “Sober,” which detailed a relapse from six years of sobriety. One month later, on July 24, reports surfaced that the pop star suffered from a suspected overdose and was treated with Narcan at her home. She was transported to the hospital and was “stable, alert, and breathing.”