The Ultimate Fighting Championship returns to pay-per-view this weekend with UFC 224: Nunes v. Pennington. Ahead of this weekend’s event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, fighters had to step onto the scale to make their bouts official. UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and challenger Raquel Pennington both successfully hit their marks, while only one of the 26 fighters competing on Saturday missed weight.
The one fighter to miss weight was strawweight prospect Mackenzie Dern, who missed weight by a whopping seven pounds.
Despite grossly missing the 115-pound strawweight limit, the bout between Dern and Amanda Bobby Cooper will go on as scheduled, with the Brazilian forfeiting 30 percent of her purse to Cooper.
“The fight will happen,” CABMMA Executive Director Cristiano Sampaio said in a statement, via MMAjunkie.com. “Amanda has accepted. Mackenzie went through the medicals and she’s fit, so the fight will happen. If (Dern had weighed in at) the next division, we wouldn’t allow the fight. She was 123, so she barely made it (under flyweight).”
The full weigh-in results for UFC 224 can be seen below:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10:00 p.m. ET)
- Champ Amanda Nunes (135) vs. Raquel Pennington (135) – for women’s bantamweight title
- Kelvin Gastelum (185) vs. Ronaldo Souza (186)
- Amanda Cooper (116) vs. Mackenzie Dern (123)*
- Brian Kelleher (136) vs. John Lineker (136)
- Vitor Belfort (184) vs. Lyoto Machida (186)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- Cezar Ferreira (186) vs. Karl Roberson (185)
- Junior Albini (266) vs. Aleksei Oleinik (235)
- Nick Hein (155) vs. Davi Ramos (156)
- Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (171) vs. Sean Strickland (170)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:15 p.m. ET)
- Sultan Aliev (171) vs. Warlley Alves (171)
- Jack Hermansson (186) vs. Thales Leites (186)
- Ramazan Emeev (171) vs. Alberto Mina (171)
- James Bochnovic (186) vs. Markus Perez (186)
*Dern came in seven pounds over the strawweight limit and will forfeit 30 percent of her purse, which will go to Cooper.