I went to George Mason University years after they made their Cinderella Final Four run, so I have no idea what it feels like to have a ranked college basketball team, let alone a good college basketball team. But I imagine it’s pretty ‘effing sweet what with all of the nationally televised games, victories, after-parties, and awesomeness.
A lot of that joy comes from seeing your school ranked in the Associated Press’ weekly Top 25 list. Since January 1949, college students have been turning to the AP for NCAA basketball rankings that will validate their mocking group texts to friends.
Now they’ve come out with a All-Time Top 100.
To determine the all-time Top 100, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point each) to mark consistency and No. 1 rankings (two points each) to acknowledge elite programs. Keep in mind that AP doesn’t release a poll after the NCAA Tournament, so eventual national champions are not factored into these rankings. Instead, this lists focuses more on those programs that consistently appear in the poll and/or at the top during the regular seasons.
Without further ado, here are the top 100 college basketball teams of all time.
- Kentucky Wildcats (1,111 Points)
- North Carolina Tar Heels (1,098 Points)
- Duke Blue Devils (1,032 Points)
- UCLA Bruins (957 Points)
- Kansas Jayhawks (857 Points)
- Indiana Hoosiers (662 Points)
- Louisville Cardinals (627 Points)
- Arizona Wildcats (594 Points)
- Syracuse Orange (581 Points)
- Cincinnati Bearcats (500 Points)
- Illinois Fighting Illini (479 Points)
- Ohio State Buckeyes (453 Points)
- Michigan State Spartans (434 Points)
- Michigan Wolverines (423 Points)
- Georgetown Hoyas (421)
- Connecticut Huskies (402 Points)
- Maryland Terrapins (400 Points)
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (382 Points)
- Villanova Wildcats (372 Points)
- Oklahoma Sooners (371 Points)
- Marquette Golden Eagles (366 Points)
- North Carolina State Wolfpack (366 Points)
- Iowa Hawkeyes (343 Points)
- Purdue Boilermakers (339 Points)
- UNLV Rebels (321 Points)
|92||San Diego State||66|
|95||New Mexico State||64|
|96||Long Beach State||60|