Sexual Assault In College & How It Can Be Stopped

One of the biggest things that can happen during college is the hosting and preparation of a school’s home game. On those big game days, we usually see an increase in booze, ecstatic people, and after parties. But along those exciting activities also harbors something sinister, the issue of sexual assaults.

In a recent study done by the American Economic Association, it was reported that in events like these, daily reports of rape with 17-24 years old victims increases by 28 percent. The worst part? most of the offenders are often known to the victim. The cause of this can be linked to the high consumptions of alcohol and drugs that often are mood enhancing.

The Effects of Alcohol:

Effects of Alcohol


Alcohol consumption has proven to have direct effects on levels of aggression and the deteriorating of one’s cognitive function, which are contributing factors to why sexual assaults at parties are more frequent. Alcohol may also fully or partially incapacitate victims who are consequently more vulnerable. Another thing is the number of sexual assault cases is mostly unreported. A justice department providing insights on it claims that only 20% of the sexually assaulted victims go to the police, leaving 80% of cases unreported. Around 1 out of 10 victims claim that it is not important enough for the authorities to intervene or that nothing can be done and 1 in 5 are afraid of retaliation from the perpetrators.

How Colleges Are Trying to Help:


The federal government has tried to increase awareness of the issue and work to provide solutions and guidance on efforts to promote student safety at all times. But many of the programs did not do well to highlight the party culture at colleges and the role alcohol plays in the increasing numbers of sexual assault. Many colleges have been trying to battle this with programs of their own. For example, The University of Berkeley is issuing online course to incoming freshman and a mandatory “Bear Pact” event on campus, which focused on how to intervene when a student sees a potential victim in a dangerous situation. However, many are skeptical as people are still reporting that they feel unsafe and harassed around campus.

However, some organizations have stepped up and came up with ideas to help put a stop to this. One organization would be The American Association of University Women,  and its “toolkit”  to fight this silent epidemic.

Here are some tools in where you can use to help:

  1. Take Action: 10 Ways to Fight Sexual Assault
  2. 6 Ways Faculty and Staff Can Fight Sexual Violence on Campus
  3. Take the Pledge to Deliver New Title IX Resources to Your Local Schools
  4. Here’s Your Talking Points on Campus Sexual Assault
  5. 4 Places to Get Funding for Your Next Anti-campus Sexual Assault Project

If you are a victim, call 911 immediately or The National Sexual Assault Hotline (1-800-656-4673).

Pi Kappa Alpha At UMass Indicted On Hazing & Alcohol Charges
  • 10678531520930918