President Donald Trump‘s “Fake News Awards” were today, Wednesday, January 17. President Trump announced the winners on Twitter at 8PM EST.
President Trump originally announced via Twitter on January 2nd that he would be holding the “Most Dishonest & Corrupt Media Awards Of The Year” on Monday, January 8th. However, on Sunday, January 7th, President Trump pushed the awards back, now with the far sleeker title of “The Fake News Awards” to Wednesday, January 17th, saying that the “interest in, and importance of, these awards is far greater than anyone could have anticipated!”
Fake news is defined as a “type of propaganda that consists of deliberate misinformation or hoaxes spread via traditional print and broadcast news media or online social media.”
Fake News Awards Winners
The “winners” of the Fake News Awards were announced on President Trump’s Twitter at 8 PM EST with a link to GOP.com. Winners include the New York Times, ABC, CNN, TIME, The Washington Post, and Newsweek. As many people predicted, outlets such as Fox News and Breitbart were not named.
1) The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claiming markets would ‘never’ recover from Trump presidency
2) ABC News’ Brian Ross’ bungled report on former national security adviser Michael Flynn
3) CNN report that the Trump campaign had early access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks
4) TIME report that Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office
5) The Washington Post’s Dave Weigel tweeting that Trump’s December rally in Pensacola, Florida, wasn’t packed with supporters
6) CNN’s video suggesting Trump overfed fish during visit with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe
7) CNN’s retracted report claiming Anthony Scaramucci-Russia ties
8) Newsweek report that Polish First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda did not shake Trump’s hand
9) CNN report that former FBI Director James Comey would dispute President Trump’s claim he was told he was not under investigation
10) The New York Times report that the Trump administration had hidden a climate-change report
11) In Trump’s words, “‘RUSSIA COLLUSION!’ Russian collusion is perhaps the greatest hoax perpetrated on the American people. THERE IS NO COLLUSION!”
2018 Fake News Awards Categories & Nominees
The full list of nominees at the 2018 Fake News Awards Of The Year is unknown, as the President is expected to only announce the winner/loser of each award. Suspected nominees include media establishments such as NBC, ABC, CNN, CBS, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and more.
Given the President’s frequent support and advertisement of Fox News programs such as “Sean Hannity” and “Fox & Friends”, many people accurately predicted that Fox News was not be nominated for any of the Most Dishonest & Corrupt Media awards.