Daniel William Michaels, a 18-year-old freshman at the State University College at Oneonta, died on Sunday, December 3.
According to an email sent to all students and faculty from SUNY Oneonta President Nancy Kleniewski, Michaels, 18, was a business economics major from Dix Hills on Long Island. While specific details surrounding the death were are not available, several students said Michaels had been at a fraternity party on the night of Saturday, December 2.
The Daily Star reports that about 300 students and faculty gathered for a mass in his honor in the college’s Hunt Union Ballroom.
Michaels was reportedly pledging the Alpha Pi fraternity, a Greek group not officially recognized by the university. A preliminary toxicology report indicates that Michaels had a mix of amphetamines, benzodiazepines and alcohol in his system.
via The Daily Star:
Daniel William Michaels, an 18-year-old from Dix Hills on Long Island studying business economics, was found unconscious on a couch at 34 Academy Street shortly after midnight, Brenner said. Students interviewed said that Michaels lived in Tobey Hall on campus and was pledging the Alpha Pi fraternity, a Greek group not recognized by the university.
A group of students picking up a friend at the address noticed Michaels and alerted someone who lived at the house. A student called 911, but as police officers were responding Michaels was transferred to A.O. Fox Memorial Hospital in a private vehicle. He was in cardiac arrest on arrival and died a short time later, Brenner said.
A preliminary toxicology report was positive for amphetamines and benzodiazepines, but the amounts of the drugs will not be available until a full report is released in about four weeks, according to Otsego County Coroner Terry Knapp.
Michaels had a relatively small amount of alcohol in his system below the legal limit, Knapp said, adding that the drugs may have been ingested separately or combined as an ecstasy or “molly” capsule or powder.
The University says that counseling services are available at Tobey Hall from staff members in the Counseling Center and Office of Residential Community Life.
A GoFundMe was launched to create a scholarship in Michaels’ name. At the time of this writing, $13,000 has been raised.
A full toxicology report is set to be released in four to six weeks.