The family of Abbey Conner is still seeking answers after their 20-year-old daughter was found unconscious in a Mexican resort pool just hours after landing.
Abbey, 20, and her brother Austin, 22, were on a family vacation at Paraiso del Mar, a five-star resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. According to reports, the two of them had drinks at the pool bar upon arrival.
Not long after, Abbey was found floating in the pool with foam coming out her nose. Austin was also found floating in the pool. Abbey later died after she was declared brain dead. Austin, however, survived. They were vacationing with their mother Ginny and their stepfather John McGowan.
The Conner family, from Pewaukee, Wisconsin, were only at the resort for a couple of hours until the tragedy occurred.
Abbey was later declared brain dead and taken off life support. Her medical records indicated that she died from ‘anoxic brain injury’ and ‘cerebral edema’ which is a lack of oxygen to the brain and cerebral inflammation, respectively.
via Daily Mail:
Austin said neither he nor Abbey had taken any type of relaxant or other pills on the plane or once in Mexico. And although they had smoked marijuana in the US, they had not smoked anything in Mexico. At 130 pounds, she would have to drink about seven shots in one hour to have a level of 0.25.
Ginny and John had come back from a walk along the beach and was waiting to meet her children in the lobby to head to dinner. When they never showed she asked the hotel staff to ring their rooms. The staffer looked anxious and got the manager, they told Ginny she needed to get John and that both of her children had been taken to the hospital.
When the McGowans arrived at Hospiten Riviera Maya is a small medical center about 14 miles away, Austin was sedated. Doctors said he was stable. He had had a golf-ball sized lump on his forehead and had suffered a severe concussion. But he had been conscious. He would be OK.
Abbey’s outlook was far worse. She was on a ventilator and unresponsive, her collarbone was cracked. Abbey was in a coma.
Toxicology reports showed that Austin’s blood-alcohol level was 0.26, more than three times the limit considered by Wisconsin law to be impaired, while Abbey’s was 0.25.
Abbey had just finished the first semester of her junior year at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
[protected-iframe id=”7ee6fae17665a87940c71dbb1dcb3dc7-3508545-91726680″ info=”//www.jsonline.com/videos/embed/103642968/?fullsite=true>” width=”540″ height=”304″ frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no”]