The XFL Draft takes place over the next two days as the league’s eight teams select their rosters for the relaunch of the professional football league. Before the draft kicked off, however, the XFL assigned a quarterback to each team.
The first set of signal-callers in the XFL include former NFL signal-callers Landry Jones, Cardale Jones, Matt McGloin, and Matt McGloin.
The eight teams in the XFL are the DC Defenders, Dallas Renegades, Houston Roughnecks, Los Angeles Wildcats, New York Guardians, St. Louis BattleHawks, Seattle Dragons and Tampa Bay Vipers. In August of 2019, the official names and logos for all of the XFL franchises were announced.
A full look at the 8 quarterbacks who were a signed include:
There's a lot of talent in the #XFLDraft pool.
— XFL (@xfl2020) October 15, 2019
- Dallas Renegades – Landry Jones (Oklahoma, six NFL seasons)
- DC Defenders – Cardale Jones (Ohio State, three NFL seasons)
- Houston Roughnecks – Philip Walker (Temple, three seasons on NFL practice squads)
- LA Wildcats – Luis Perez (Texas A&M – Commerce, one season NFL practice squad)
- New York Guardians – Matt McGloin (Penn State, six NFL seasons)
- St. Louis BattleHawks – Jordan Ta’amu (Ole Miss)
- Seattle Dragons – Brandon Silvers (Troy)
- Tampa Bay Vipers – Aaron Murray (Georgia, two NFL seasons)
According to the league, the eight teams in the league will be selecting players from a pool that features more than 1,000 athletes. Every roster will require 71 players which will be the final phase of the draft.
“The draft pool will include approximately 1,000 professional football players, all of whom accepted a Commissioner’s Invitation and passed a standard background check. In Phases 1-4, each team will choose ten players for a total of 40 players,” the release read. “In Phase 5, each team will choose from the pool of remaining players to complete its initial roster.”
The first overall pick in the XFL draft will belong to DC. Los Angeles will have the first pick in the OL phase, Tampa Bay has their choice in the D7 phase, Dallas has the top pick in the DB Phase, and St. Louis will kickoff the open phase of the draft.