Gamescom 2019 starts on August 20 and goes on through the August 24. If you don’t know what Gamescom is, don’t worry, it’s simple. Gamescom is one of the largest gaming conventions/news events that happens each year. The size of the event is up there with the likes of E3 and the Tokyo Game Show. Between when and where the event is, who/which companies will be attending, as well as what may or may not be announced at the event all of this information can get quite confusing. We’ve decided to make this wave of information a little bit easier for the public viewer, by putting all of the information in one place. Just as a warning, this year’s Gamescom is gearing up to be the largest of them all, so the amount of information will be a lot. Here’s all the information that you’ll need to what gets you most excited for the event.
When & Where
Gamescom 2019 will be held at the Koelnmesse, an international trade fair and exhibition center located in Cologne, Germany.
The event is scheduled to run from August 20th through the 24th; however, this year’s event will kick-off August 19th, at night, with the Gamescom: Opening Night Live event. This event will take place at the event in front of a live audience and streamed, live, around the world. More information about the O.N.L is below.
Gamescom: Opening Night Live
— gamescom (@gamescom) August 12, 2019
O.N.L will, as reported above, be staged in front of a live audience and streamed around the world in multiple languages. This event will be produced by Geoff Keighley, host and producer of the annual Video Game Awards. Though, it wouldn’t be a proper video game convention without amazing trailers and world premiers. Scheduled for the night are many of gamings leading developing studios debuting titles and showcasing already announced games. The list of developer companies reads as:
- Bandai Namco Entertainment
- Electronic Arts
- Epic Games
- Google Stadia
- Koch Media/Deep Silver
- Private Division
- Square Enix
- Sony Interactive Entertainment
- THQ Nordic GmbH
- Xbox Game Studios
Also featured during the live event will be legendary game director Hideo Kojima (creator of the Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid series) debuting more footage from his upcoming and cryptic title Death Stranding scheduled for release on November 8th, 2019 exclusively on PlayStation 4.
Gamescom: Opening Night Live event starts at 8:00 p. m. MESZ, 2:00 p. m EDT, and 11:00 a.m. PDT.
Big Games At Gamescom
There will be a mess of games at Gamescom 2019; however, some are bigger than others. We’ve decided to focus on some of the bigger titles that will appear at the event, instead of trying to stuff every single one into this article.
- Microsoft – Xbox will be featuring Gears of War 5 focusing on the ‘Horde’ and multiplayer modes of the latest installment, and additional information about the ‘Project: Scarlet’.
- Sony – Will feature Call of Duty: Modern Warfare since they have a close relationship with the developer Activision and Hideo Kojima’s game Death Stranding since that title is a PlayStation Exclusive.
- Nintendo – This legendary company has a plethora of games to showcase at Gamescom 2019 which includes Luigi’s Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Animal Crossing, and Mario and Sonic At The 2020 Olympic Games.
- Bandai Namco – With games like Cod Vien, and Dragonball Kakarot this company has plenty to showcase on the showfloor.
There are sure to be many more titles on the show floor of the convention, as well as debuted at the Gamescom: Opening Night Live event; however, this is just a taste of what gamers can expect to get at the coming convention. We are excited for Gamescom and will be watching what happens very closely.