Hundreds of students were forced to evacuate from their dorms at the UCLA after police received a bomb threat.
University authorities and officials evacuated more than a dozen residence halls after a bomb threat was called in around 10PM on Wednesday, July 12. The threat was against the school’s recreation center.
The threat was cleared in under two hours and all students were released from a stadium and allowed to go back to their rooms by morning.
The university has students on campus for its summer session and the threat came hours after the first orientation program for new UCLA students ended.
via Los Angeles Times:
A UCLA Bruin Alert — the campus emergency notification system — was issued about 12:20 a.m. Thursday, announcing that the threat was unfounded and students could return to their dorms. The first emergency alert was issued shortly after 10 p.m., telling the university community about the bomb threat at Sunset Canyon Recreation Center.
The first emergency alert was issued shortly after 10 p.m., telling the university community about the bomb threat at Sunset Canyon Recreation Center. Police searched the recreation center with four bomb-detecting dogs, and just before midnight, said that no explosives had been found so far.
Drake Stadium, where a large crowd of evacuated students had gathered, erupted in cheers when it was announced that students could return to some of the residence halls.
All clear at UCLA. Residents are returning to all residence halls. Thank you for your patience. https://t.co/uUPUb9UgWd
— UCLA Newsroom (@UCLAnewsroom) July 13, 2017
Police said the threat was phoned-in by an unknown person and are currently investigating. No arrests have been made so far.