Samsung is returning with their flagship products following a rough patch with their incendiary Galaxy Note 7s.
The global tech company debuted the new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8Plus in New York Wednesday morning. The new phones represent a cutting edge leap with smooth hardware design and an array of new and versatile service offerings. Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ bring a new level of functionality and convenience with their immersive viewing experiences and new apps.
“The Samsung Galaxy S8 ushers in a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening up new ways to experience the world,” said DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “The Galaxy S8 is our testament to regaining your trust by redefining what’s possible in safety and marks a new milestone in Samsung’s smartphone legacy.”
The phones come without home buttons and flat screens but include new AI systems and smartphone desktop integration on their curved displays.
The biggest phone maker in the world is in need of a win and the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8Plus may very well deliver.
— Android Authority (@AndroidAuth) March 29, 2017
“The smaller Galaxy S8 crams a 5.8-inch screen onto a body that feels much smaller thanks to the way the curves slide down to meet the hand. Of course, this is hardly new for the Galaxy line; however, consider that the Galaxy S8 Plus does the same thing with a whopping 6.2-inch screen,” according to Android Authority. The new design is sleek, sexy and attractive.
Here are the key features of the new phones:
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+
* Fast 8-core processor, first with 10-nanometre architecture
* Tiny bezel: display takes up almost the entire phone
* QHD + displays with 2960×1440 pixels, more than 520 ppi
* New virtual personal assistant Bixby
* Connecting DeX dock that offers a virtual PC environment
* Home/fingerprint reader button on the back
* Iris and face identification for unlocking phone
* USB-C connector, traditional 3.5mm headphone jack
* 12MP F1.7 rear camera, 8MP F1.7 smart autofocus front camera
* IP68 rated water and dust resistance
* Samsung Connect lets users link to connected home devices
* 3000 and 3500 mAh batteries for S8 and S8+ respectively
* Near Field Communication (NFC) for Samsung payments
* Heart rate sensor, HDR video support.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 will hit stores on April 21 and will start at $720.