Jami Gertz was one of the NBA team representatives at the 2018 NBA Draft Lottery on Tuesday night in Chicago. Gertz was introduced as the part-owner of the Atlanta Hawks along with her husband, Tony Ressler. However, she is known to many as much, much more. Before she was involved in the NBA, Gertz was a standout actress starring in films like Crossroads, The Lost Boys, Less Than Zero and Quicksilver. She also played Judy Miller in the CBS sitcom Still Standing, and Debbie Weaver in the ABC sitcom The Neighbors.
As for why Gertz represented the Hawks at the 2018 NBA Draft Lottery, Hawks owner Tony Ressler told Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “She’s been responsible for all my luck for the past 30 years.” The Hawks ended the night with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. Atlanta also holds the No. 19 overall pick (via the Minnesota Timberwolves) and the No. 30 overall pick (via the Houston Rockets).
After Gertz appeared on screen, everyone had some fun with the revelation that Ertz was part-owner of the Hawks.
I hope & trust this lottery will be immediately followed by an 11-part 30 for 30 explaining how Jami Gertz came to own the Atlanta Hawks.
— Dave Dameshek (@Dameshek) May 16, 2018
Jami Gertz owns the Hawks?!?
I honestly don’t know what to do with the news that a half-vampire from The Lost Boys runs an NBA franchise
— Brian Hamilton (@_Brian_Hamilton) May 16, 2018
Somehow Jami Gertz and somebody named Courtney Love — but not that one — are involved in this Draft Lottery.
— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) May 16, 2018
— Freddie Coleman (@ColemanESPN) May 16, 2018
Needle off the record – Jami Gertz owns the Hawks??? Still Standing indeed!!! pic.twitter.com/XStzdo3F4p
— Jessica (@JessicaGoldstei) May 16, 2018
Am I the only late 40s male who is trying to process Jami Gertz (16 Candles and other 80s movie classics) owning the Hawks and being onstage at The NBA Draft lottery? pic.twitter.com/1GJEaXAq2Y
— Rob Brown (@rbb_brown) May 16, 2018
The Hawks will make use of their three first-round picks when the 2018 NBA Draft takes place June 21, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. ET at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The draft will air live on ESPN.
The full list of team representatives from Tuesday night can be seen below.
2018 NBA Draft Lottery Team Representatives
- Atlanta Hawks: Jami Gertz (owner)
- Boston Celtics: Rich Gotham (president)
- Charlotte Hornets: Mitch Kupchak (president of basketball operations)
- Chicago Bulls: Michael Reinsdorf (president and chief operating officer)
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Nick Gilbert (son of team owner)
- Dallas Mavericks: Michael Finley (assistant vice principal of basketball operations)
- Denver Nuggets: Jamal Murray (player)
- Detroit Pistons: Luke Kennard (player)
- Los Angeles Clippers: Jerry West (team consultant)
- Memphis Grizzlies: Elliot Perry (minority owner)
- New York Knicks: Scott Perry (general manager)
- Orlando Magic: Jeff Weltman (president of basketball operations)
- Philadelphia 76ers: Elton Brand (general manager of Delaware Blue Coats)
- Phoenix Suns: Josh Jackson (player)
- Sacramento Kings: De’Aaron Fox (player)