magnifier menu chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up comment chevron-up chat_bubble_outline2 share thumbs-up thumbs-down chevron-down

JMU Student Confirmed Dead Because of Dangerous New “Poppy Tea”


Steven Austin Underhill Poppy Tea

Steven Austin Underhill, a 21-year-old student at James Madison University, died suddenly and tragically last February from an accidental opioid overdose, the toxicology report has stated. The report stated that Austin, as he liked to be called, had ingested a large amount of opioids after drinking what people call “poppy tea.”

He’s remembered as an extremely bright guy, both socially and in the classroom. Austin was also a gifted soccer player who had enjoyed playing travel ball and more recently competitively for JMU.

Who Was Steven Austin Underhill?

Austin was a 21-year-old student athlete at JMU who played soccer for the Dukes. Off the field, he was a junior majoring in engineering and minoring in math. He died of an opioid overdose on February 21 last year.

What Happened?

Austin was found unresponsive at the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house in Harrisonburg, VA. A toxicology report indicated that he had died because of large amounts of opioids in his body–opioids that were apparently consumed via poppy tea.

What Is Poppy Tea?

Poppy Tea is something that we’d never heard of until this story, but it’s something that’s growing in popularity despite the danger. Because the tea is made with various household ingredients, the effects can vary from user to user, but at higher doses it can cause death through things like respiratory arrest or choking on your own vomit.

Director of Sales and Marketing
Wyatt is a Gettysburg College graduate and NYC native who is flattered that you're interested about reading up on him.