Irma Bule, a 29-year-old pop star from Indonesia, died yesterday after she was bitten by a cobra mid-performance. Because she was performing in front of thousands of fans, it was all caught on video.
The pop singer was was dancing on stage in West Java, Indonesia when she accidentally stepped on one of the snakes she used for her act. According to Metro, Bule believed the King Cobra snake had been de-fanged, but it still somehow managed to inject its venom into her thigh.
“In the middle of the second song, Irma stepped on the snake’s tail,” audience member Ferlando Octavion Auzura told local website Merdeka. ‘The snake then bit Irma in her thigh.”
She was immediately offered antidote by caregivers, but Bule reportedly refused the treatment for reasons unknown. She continued performing while a snake handler pulled the animal away from her.
The poison immediately made her start vomiting and having seizures, so staff took her to the hospital. She was pronounced dead 45 minutes later.
According to Metro, king cobras are one of the deadliest animals in the world and can kill an elephant – or 20 people – with a single bite.