It is that time of year again and the Big 12 Conference regular season has come to an end with the conference tournament ready to get underway this week in Kansas City. The Kansas Jayhawks are the top seed and will be looking to lock down a No. 1 seed for the NCAA Tournament if they can get there the tournament with a victory. Fans shouldn’t look past the West Virginia Mountaineers or Oklahoma Sooners though as both teams are going to be high seeds in the tournament as well and could pull some upsets. It’s going to be a great week in Kansas City.
Here is a look at the final Big 12 Conference standings and the conference tournament schedule.
- Kansas (15-3, 27-4)- It is clear that the Jayhawks are the class of the conference with their records. However with a very talented rest of the conference, it shouldn’t be assumed they run away with the title.
- West Virginia (13-5, 24-7)- The Mountaineers are projected to be a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament but move their way onto the No. 2 line if they can get and beat Kansas in the title game.
- Oklahoma (12-6, 24-6)- Buddy Hield is special and has carried the Sooners all season. It may come down to Oklahoma and West Virginia for a No. 2 seed depending on which one does better in the tournament.
- Texas (11-7, 20-11)- There have been some late losses to ranked teams but this is still a good Longhorns team. If they can pull an upset or two, look out for the NCAA Tournament.
- Iowa State (10-8, 21-10)
- Baylor (10-8, 21-10)
- Texas Tech (9-9, 19-11)
- Kansas State (5-13, 16-15)
- Oklahoma State (3-15, 12-19)
- TCU (2-16, 11-20)
Big 12 Tournament Schedule
Wednesday, March 9
Game 1: #8 Kansas State vs. #9 Oklahoma State, 7 p.m.
Game 2: #7 Texas Tech vs. #10 TCU, 9 p.m.
Thursday, March 10
Game 3: #4 Texas vs. #5 Baylor, 12:30 p.m.
Game 4: Game 1 Winner vs. #1 Kansas, 2:30 p.m.
Game 5: Game 2 Winner vs. #2 West Virginia, 7 p.m.
Game 6: #3 Oklahoma vs. #6 Iowa State, 9 p.m.
Friday, March 11
Game 7: Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Winner, 7 p.m.
Game 8: Game 5 Winner vs. Game 6 Winner, 9 p.m.
Saturday, March 12
Game 9: Game 7 Winner vs. Game 8 Winner, 6 p.m.