Arkansas State Goes Under Lockdown Under Reports Of Armed Men

Arkansas State University

Arkansas State had the worst kind of Twitter activity earlier today, as the campus went on lockdown following reports of “males with weapons” being seen near the Student Union. That’s a busy place even on the weekends. The reports added that the men were walking “toward Dean Street, which got the alerts flying… [photo via…]

Two males with weapons reported near the Student Union. Lockdown immediately until further notice.

— Arkansas State (@ArkansasState) February 14, 2016

Report: The possible three males all wearing black were last seen walking north near Dean St.

— Arkansas State (@ArkansasState) February 14, 2016

UPD, as well as other officers, are clearing campus buildings in the affected area. Please remain indoors until an all clear is given.

— Arkansas State (@ArkansasState) February 14, 2016


For now, though, there’s also good news with the lockdown lifted….

Again, the campus lockdown has been lifted. Police are continuing to investigate the report and are reviewing security footage of the area.

— Arkansas State (@ArkansasState) February 14, 2016

People are still nervous, though, with just a general announcement that security is reviewing videotapes. A spokesman added: “To our knowledge, no one has been arrested. Police are still investigating the report.” We’d put ourselves on lockdown for a while, still. At least until The Walking Dead is over.

UPDATE: Official statement pending…

We will be releasing a statement on facebook and our homepage in the next few minutes regarding the reported incident this afternoon.

— Arkansas State (@ArkansasState) February 14, 2016

FUNNIER UPDATE: Officially, it was student actors brandishing tripods…

Statement from Arkansas State University:

Numerous first responders from the University Police Department, Jonesboro Police Department, Craighead County Sheriff’s Office, Arkansas State Police and other law enforcement agencies worked swiftly and cooperatively this afternoon in response to what eventually turned out to be a false alarm on the campus.

Apparently students were filming a video project near the Union, and costumed actors were reported as possible campus intruders. These students have been located and interviewed by University Police Officers. As a result, it has been confirmed that there was no gunman on campus.

The university immediately put a lockdown in place while the Union and surrounding areas were searched and cleared. The university’s text and email alert system was used to notify students about the situation.

Chancellor Tim Hudson, Vice Chancellor Rick Stripling, and other representatives of the university administration also responded to campus to assist in the crisis response.

No injuries were reported, and normal campus operations have resumed.

The University Police Department will continue to closely monitor the campus this evening as a precautionary measure.

Chancellor Hudson expressed the university’s appreciation to all law enforcement personnel who responded so quickly to the perceived threat.

  • 10678531520930918