David Letterman is a perfectionist, which is one of the many reasons he was so successful. Every day at 4:00 PM, which was 30 minutes before showtime, Dave would sprint down the hallway of the lower level of the Ed Sullivan Theater wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt. If you happened to be standing nearby he would yell out, “Hey little buddy!” and then book it down to his dressing room to throw on his suit, just in time to start the show at exactly 4:30 pm.
Even though the show was pre-taped, it was in front of a live audience, so Dave treated it as if it was a live show. They rarely re-shot anything.
A few more facts you may not know about Dave:
– He never wears the same tie twice.
– He goes to the dentist every Wednesday.
– The pencils that he tosses have erasers on both ends.
– His socks are gray, not white.
– The Steak ‘n’ Shake on Broadway and 53rd opened because it’s Dave’s favorite fast food restaurant
Don’t forget to tune in to Dave’s final show tonight at 11:30pm EST on CBS.