You’re an innovative sort of manly man, right? When you grill, you want it to be exciting. You know how to throw an awesome barbecue, but steak and burgers are cliché, dude. And while you know other things to grill, you’re still more daring than most and seek new heights of cuisine. Crack open a beer, try these bizarre recipes, and impress the ladies with your culinary charm.
1. Fruit… you’ve heard of grilled vegetables, so why not give this a go and cover it in chocolate sauce? Fruit kebabs make an excellent ice cream topper. Skewer, grill, and enjoy.
2. Nuts (no homo-erotic humor, please). Fire-roasted chestnuts aren’t just for NYC during the holidays. If you have the patience to skewer, go for it; otherwise, wrap deshelled nuts in foil and use your judgment. Add the finished product to a s’more and bask in deliciousness.
3. Sausage might seem pretty obvious to those of Italian or Portuguese descent, but it’s not at the top of the list for most. Brush on some ketchup and grape jelly (no, really, it’s somehow awesome) and grill to perfection. Add a side dish of rice or vegetables to squeeze in another food group.
4. Fish sticks are particularly terrific when grilled as opposed to baked. And no, it doesn’t make you a gay fish if you enjoy these with ketchup. Grill them as you would anything else: without dropping through the rack.
5. The same can be said for chicken nuggets and other breaded delicacies, including but not limited to: jalapeno poppers, tater tots, and mozzarella sticks. Foil might come in handy for the smaller bits, unless you have a small grill, “grilling-out-of-my-studio-apartment-window” style.
6. Maple syrup-glazed bacon on the grill should be a classified as a Class A illegal substance for its addictive and endorphin-fueling nature. Try marinating your bacon for a few hours in pure maple syrup, or buy it pre-glazed from the store; either way, your friends are going to wonder why you’ve taken to scraping the grill and snorting the remains once the bacon’s run out.
7. Pizza will never have as crispy of a crust anywhere but the grill. Tip: brush the bottom with vegetable oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Top with alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, chicken, bacon, and spinach for a twist. Kudos for getting all of your food groups onto one edible plate.
8. Frozen egg rolls also adhere to this crispy status when grilled. Skewer with assorted vegetables and season with soy sauce. Homemade Asian cuisine (hopefully) ensures no dogs were harmed in the making!
9. Baked potatoes are a thing of the past. Grill ’em up covered in cheese and your choice of dressing: sour cream, hot sauce, broccoli and cheese soup…the possibilities are endlessly satisfying. Switch it up with a sweet potato and BBQ sauce. The ladies will flock, so long as you’re not wearing a “Kiss the Cook” apron with an inappropriate (but humorous) arrow.
10. Pop Tarts double in taste when thrown on the grill instead of in the toaster or microwave. Accompany with a mimosa for the perfect hangover breakfast — just don’t light yourself on fire while you’re battling the spins.