So you think you’ve had strong beer? Is your idea of a knockout brew Molson XXX or Steel Reserve? The wonderful world of beer goes far beyond that, and with suds reaching the level of 40% ABV, they can be just as potent as that plastic handle of vodka that’s been sitting in the freezer for the past four months. Some incredibly rare, and others reaching prices of over $100, these truly are the Incredible Hulks of beer.
5) Schorschbrau – Schorschbock 32 (Eisbock, 32% ABV) – This German company has been brewing the strongest beers on earth for years, despite being topped a number of times by other European competitors. These come individually packaged in a wooden case, wax sealed, and signed by the mastermind Braumeister himself. Schorshbock is a very limited release, and with only 250 bottles made in 2009, this might be a tough one to come by.
4) BrewDog – Tactical Nuclear Penguin (Imperial Stout, 32% ABV) The Scots are at it again, and created this epic, heavy duty stout through a double barrel aging process for 14 months, followed by freezing for 2 weeks. What came out is the strongest stout in the world, rich and warm in taste, with enough booze to take down a bull elephant and retailing for a “modest” £35 per 12 oz. bottle. I wouldn’t try pouring this one in your beer bong.
3) Revelation Cat Craft Brewing – Freeze the Penguin (Eisbock, 35% ABV) – Available once a year at the outdoor beer festival, Merla, in Northern Italy, this was created by combining imperial stout with strong barleywine. The name also seems to prod at the previous most potent beer, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, by the Scottish company BrewDog. Coincidence? I think not.
2) Schorschbrau – Schorschbock 40 (Eisbock, 40% ABV) – Not to be easily beaten, the German beer kings punched right back at competitors with an even stronger version of Schorschbock. These have similar packaging to the previous version, although its rarity is unmatched with only around 40 bottles made, retailing for €100 per bottle. We’ve finally reached the point where beer can make people as drunk as whiskey, hallelujah!
1) BrewDog – Sink the Bismarck (Imperial IPA, 41% ABV) – The current heavyweight champ is a ludicrous quadruple IPA packed with hops, bitterness, and alcohol. Just released in February, the quest for the strongest beer has reached a peak, as Sink the Bismarck is available for purchase through the brewery for a whopping £40 per 12 oz. bottle.