Close your eyes and picture this: you’re chilling in class, just about to nod out for a nap. You’ve got the ill playlist going, and even though you’re hungover as all hell, you’re feeling pretty good. You’re right on the cusp of sleep when you feel this sensation in your pocket. You’re not sure what it is, but you sure don’t like it. The sensation grows into pain and that’s when you realize, “Wait that’s my phone.” You pull out your phone to find it on FIRE and now your $600 iPhone just ruined your best pair of sweats and you need to go to the Verizon store to cop a new phone. Brutal, right? Cause that’s what actually happened to this (New Jersey! Shout out) college kid, Darin Hlavaty.
“I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg,” said Hlavaty. Hlavaty had just been reaching for a pen in his 9:30 A.M. physical science class.
“Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire,” said Hlavaty.
“Out of nowhere, we heard a fizzing and a popping sound. Suddenly a great mass of smoke comes out from his pocket,” said Rebecca Bookbinder, a student sitting nearby.
“It was super hot so I flinched, grabbed it, threw it on the ground. Had to kick it because it was on fire,” said Hlavaty.
First, real quick, can we talk about that last name Bookbinder? Chick sounds like she’s destined to be a librarian.
Now, more importantly, when did exploding phones become a thing? It feels like it never happened before, and now all of a sudden in 2016 people’s phones are turning on them. I blame Hillary.