I feel somewhat bad for kids under the age of 21 now. Only six or seven years ago, you used to be able to go to Underground Tattoo, pay someone $120-150 (depending on who “referred you”) and leave with a fake Delaware ID (plus a bonus bowl to smoke weed out of).
Now New York State has essentially declared war on fakes with this new ID they’re rolling out. According to the New York Times, this new ID will be “impossible to forge” because:
• The new ID’s will be laser engraved on rigid polycarbonate (harder to forge than the flexible ones)
• The photos are in taken in color but printed in grayscale (more detailed)
• Personal data will be engraved on the card
• A photo of the person will be visible on both the front and back of the ID (like a window)
• 26 other security features that will remain secretive
All this cracking down on fakes really only began after 9/11, so I think it’s fair to say that the terrorists won.