Movember is the annual, world-wide charity movement that raises funds and awareness for cancers affecting men through the power of the moustache. Since 2003, more than a 1.1 million participants have raised $174 million. To do this, men grow a moustache or “Mo” for the month of November to show their support and to get others to take notice and donate. At the end of the month, official end-of-Movember Gala Partés take place in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, DC, Denver, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle. Read on to find out how you can change the face of men’s health and be sure to check out pics from previous Gala Partes and video featuring 40 different ‘staches in 100 seconds.
Here are some interesting facts:
- In 2011, more than 240,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and more than 33,000 men will die from prostate cancer
- One new prostate cancer case occurs every 2.2 minutes
- A man dies from prostate cancer every 15.6 minutes
- Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men and is the second-leading cause of cancer death in men
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- 48% of testicular cancer cases occur in men between the ages of 20 and 34.
- 1 in 271 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer during their lifetime.
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in American males between the ages of 15 and 34.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Register at Movember.com
- Once registered, recruit friends and family to join your Movember team or donate to your moustache growing efforts.
- Download the mobile phone apps (iPhone and Android) to manage your Movember campaign on the move.
- Use the Recruit-a-Mo Facebook app.
- Start clean-shaven then grow and groom your moustache all month long.
- Update your “Mo Space” on Movember.com with pics, videos and status updates of your progress.
- Rock Movember merchandise to supplement your Mo.
- At the end of Movember, celebrate at an official Gala Parté or host your own Mo Party (Movember will send you a Movember Party in a Box kit with everything you need).
For more info, follow Movember on
Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Movember.com