9 Best Dorm Room Microwave Recipes
We all know that dorm rooms don’t have stoves – probably for good reason – which causes a major problem in the area of cooking, or at least preparing adequate food. In an effort to save you from eating Top Ramen for the rest of your days at college, the “culinary experts” at COED decided to come together and make a list of the top 9 microwave recipes so that you – the average dorm room student – may better your eating habits. This way, you can avoid some of that greasy mystery meat in the dining halls and show off a little to the other people on your floor in the process. Check out our top 9 picks below!
1) The Makeshift Potato Bowl
This dish is great for a quick, healthy meal. Cooks fast, and tastes great!
- You’re going to want to buy some instant microwaveable potatoes, a can of corn, a can of green beans, some cheese and a package of chicken tenders.
- Drain corn and green beans.
- Microwave potatoes halfway.
- Add in the corn, green beans and sliced up chicken tenders to the potatoes. Resume microwaving. (Microwave time is dependent on potato brand, so READ THE DIRECTIONS)
- Upon the ding of the microwave, take the bowl out, sprinkle some cheese on, let it cool and enjoy your Makeshift Potato Bowl.
2) Canned Soup With Spices
For the easy spice up, just add spices to your favorite soup!
- Any canned soup can be prepared in the microwave. We all know this, but the key is to spice it up. Next time you’re at the grocery store, grab some hot sauce, some garlic powder and some Vegeta. These 3 additions literally make every soup better.
3) Chicago-Style Hot Dog
Everyone enjoys a Chicago dog, so now you can make them on your own!
- Buy buns and hot dogs.
- Cut a couple of slits in the hot dog and nuke that sucker up.
- Put on some mustard, celery salt, onions, relish, a pickle and a tomato, and you have yourself a Chicago-style dog.
4) Mayan Hot Chocolate
Give your regular bland hot chocolate a little Mayan kick!
1. Get yourself 1 cup of milk, 3 tablespoons of instant hot chocolate mix, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper; these things can all be purchased at the grocery store. If you don’t have measuring spoons, a tablespoon is about the size of a regular spoonful, and a teaspoon is half of that. A pinch, well, a pinch is a pinch.
2. Mix ingredients together. Stir until blended. Microwave for 2 minutes or until desired drink temperature is reached.
5) Zucchini Cheese Casserole
Great for impressing girls on a dorm date. Make some of this and leave them wondering where you got it. This one is a little more complicated, but worth the time. Here is the ingredients list:
- 2 cups of egg noodles
- 4 cups of diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded gouda cheese
- Bring a large bowl of lightly salted water to a boil by microwaving on high for a couple of minutes. Add the egg noodles and cook until they are done – which usually takes about 4 to 8 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the zucchini and water into a 2 quart, microwave safe casserole dish with lid. Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 6 minutes. Scrape the zucchini into the colander with the pasta and set them aside. Place the butter, mushrooms, onion and garlic into the casserole dish. Cook on high for 3 minutes then stir in the flour, salt and basil. Stir in the milk then return the dish to the microwave and cook on high 5 minutes more, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Stir the zucchini and pasta into the mushroom sauce along with 1 cup of the gouda cheese. Cook for 6 more minutes on high, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and cook another minute until the cheese has melted.
6) Peanut Patties
A great delicious snack that is easy to make, and even better to eat!
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups of peanuts
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 drops of red food coloring
- Grease a cookie sheet or other flat surface.
- In a 2 quart glass measuring cup, combine water, sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on high until boiling. Stir in the peanuts.
- Microwave the mixture on medium between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface.
- Stir in the butter, vanilla and food coloring. Beat until creamy and cool. Drop in teaspoonfuls into prepared pan.
7) Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal With An Egg Boost
A great breakfast that rivals most dining halls. This quick fix is a great wake up before class, or after a long night of boozing!
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 (1.23 ounce) package of apples & cinnamon instant oatmeal
- 1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt
- Beat egg and milk in a 2-cup microwave-safe bowl until blended. Stir in oatmeal.
- Microwave on high until liquid is absorbed and the egg is set for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes; stir. Top with yogurt.
8) Chili Dip
What better way to watch the football game than with some chili dip?
- Grab some Hormel Chili with no beans, some shredded cheese and a block of cream cheese.
- In a microwave safe pan, spread the cream cheese evenly on the bottom. Add the chili on top, evenly once again, and then sprinkle the cheese on top as well.
- Cook on high in the microwave for about 5 minutes or until the cheese in the middle of the pan starts bubbling.
- Serve with chips.
9) Jalapeno Popper Spread
You already have your chili dip, but adding some jalapeno popper dip to the mix makes that football game even better than before. This delicious dip goes great with every chip imaginable!
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 (4 ounce) can of chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 ounces of canned diced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Stir together the cream cheese and the mayonnaise in a large bowl until smooth. Next stir in green chilies and jalapeno peppers. Pour the mixture into a microwave-safe serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Microwave on high until hot for about 3 minutes.
Liked this? Check out these:
28 Most Cliche Dorm Room Posters
Top 5 Dorm Room Munchies
How To Be The Top Chef of Your Dormroom
A Freshman Newb’s Guide To Smoking Weed
10 Manliest Apartment Decorations