Daniel Tosh is the new Dave Chappelle. Okay, so maybe it’s not as cut and dry as that but Tosh’s ratings for Comedy Central are very Chappelle-like. He’s averaging more than 4 million viewers every Tuesday night (“Chappelle Show” averaged 3.1 million at its peak), he’s destroying Stewart and Colbert. He’s even beating South Park, which gets 3.7 million on average. His Comedy Central stand-up special, “Happy Thoughts”, had approximately 3.2M viewers, which is a new record for the cable net. According to CelebrityNetWorth.com he’s “only” worth $1.5 million but when contract negotiations come up he can expect something similar to Chappelle’s infamous $50 million contract that sent him packing.
Whenever someone gets big, the public hungers for and demands to know every single little detail about the figure they follow. Where did he or she grow up? What are his or her parents like? What was his or her first job? With Tosh approaching Chappelle status, we can expect either A) to learn a lot more about his personal life or B) wish him a fond farewell as he runs away to Germany… why Germany? Well, you’ll have to read on to find out!
16 Things You Didn’t Know About Daniel Tosh
• Growing up, he sold CutCo knives door to door.
• The first stand-up comedian he ever saw in his life was Carrot Top at the University of Central Florida.
• The Miss South Carolina video is his favorite viral video of all-time.
• His alleged rival Dane Cook is more popular on the internet according to Google. Dane Cook has 4,800,000 Google results while Daniel Tosh has 2,250,000 results.
• Tosh was born in Boppard, Rhineland-Palatinate, West Germany.
• His first job was as a telemarketer at Central Florida Research Park.
• Served as a spokesperson in Taco Bell commercials. Watch them below:
• Tosh has social anxiety and OCD.
• Big career break came in 2001 with a performance on the Late Show with David Letterman.
• Attended Astronaut High School in Titusville, Florida.
• Is worth an estimated $1.5 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
• Graduated from University of Central Florida in December of ’96 (a half a semester early) with a degree in marketing.
• Lives in Hermosa Beach, CA.
• Takes great pride in winning a Razzie Award for his appearance in Love Guru.
• His favorite comedians are Dave Chappelle, David Letterman, Nick Swardson, Greg Hahn, Eddie Gossling, Louis CK, Sean Rouse, Dave Attell, and…Wesley Snipes?